At the time, I mainly used Fujichrome 100 slide film, and had nothing much in terms of a long lens (I think I was using a 70-200 zoom lens with a 1.4x extender). So the shots would not have been exactly the crispest (because of the light, I was probably shooting at 1/30 or 1/60s), but we were still both very excited when we dropped the roll of film off at the lab (I was using the lab at the University of Calgary bookstore). We were not birders at the time, but this encounter seemed special.
Imagine our complete disappointment, then, when we went back to the lab the following week expecting to pick up a nice package of slides and were instead given a bundle of prints! The lab technician had mistakenly processed the film as C-41 (the print process) instead of using the E-6 slide film process. The resulting colours on the negatives, and the prints, were horribly wrong. Here is a scan of one of the prints, with no manipulation or cropping whatsoever (I couldn't find the negatives):
Incidentally, we didn't pay for the processing fee (of course), and the technician gave us two rolls of film - along with his profuse apologies!